The Bozo Factor

Bozo was here.
In the course of evaluating an older car, there is always the unknown. A paper trail in the form of maintenance records is good, but there are still things you just can't know for sure. You wonder how it was driven, how conscientiously it was cared for, even the talent of the care—all of these will make themselves known over time to the new owner.

More often than I wish, I have ended up uncovering details that are unimpressive. These are details below the surface ... behind a door panel, under the dash, inside the upholstery. Once you detect these flaws, they are glaring and annoying because it's clear an idiot worked on the car at one point. I call this the Bozo Factor.

It's now part of a checklist that I tick off in my head as I assess any car I'm considering. What will be the hidden frustration factor? How easily can  issues be corrected on this model of car? Does the owner seem conscientious? What are the known unknowns?

The rule of thumb is that you are not just buying a car; you're buying the owner. Frankly, it's also a strong argument for purchasing a low-mileage unrestored car, even at a premium.  

Mind you, on rare occasions, the opposite occurs. I recall one incident a few years ago when I unscrewed something a mechanic had recently installed. I immediately detected that the screw had been oiled before being installed. Who goes to this kind of effort except an anal-retentive owner? This mechanic did.

And perhaps just as telling, he's no longer in business.

Comments

  1. I've been following your blog for a while, as I embark on my own mild renovation of an A124. For me the usual "first sign" of an inappropriate previous owner is an aftermarket stereo and the potential electrical butchery hiding behind the center console...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely an immediate eye sore to the purist. I concur that aftermarket radios often signal deeper issues that may involve the world's most famous clown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more I go into it the more I appreciate the Mercedes dealership service history. I've seen the results of amateur mechanic's attempts in the past but this appears to have come through unscathed. New roof goes on next week...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you tell us who's doing the roof? Many of these 20+ year old Cabriolets are now due, including mine. I'd appreciate any insights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Late reply, apologies)...I bought the roof material from German Auto Tops in LA, via Ebay. It was the standard "Stayfast" material but there are others. I'm in Vancouver BC and had an established trim shop fit it. Before committing, as they were clear that I wouldn't get a warranty as I provided my own cloth, I had them give their opinion of the product and they stated that it was very good.

      Top cost $285(US) and the quoted install time is 8 hours, my shop being $85(CAD) an hour. It looks great and apart from the instruction to keep it closed for two weeks to "settle in" it was an utterly painless experience.

      Delete
  5. How many hours was installation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did it by the book - 8 hours. Whether it took less I won't know. Rear screen and headlining are re-used. I guess if they can accommodate a delay you could send the headliner for cleaning before continuing with the install.

      Delete

Post a Comment